Saturday, December 15, 2007

Day Three's Random Photos

Welcome to day three's random photos! Any guesses what today's photo of randomness is?


If you guessed "Card Catalog," you'd be right! Now, quick, run to your local library and check out a book as your prizes!

Isn't an old fashion card catalog just beautiful? I spied this beauty on a recent tour of a neighboring library, and I just had to snap a picture!

I remember using card catalogs when I was a kid. I loved flipping through all the little cards, searching for just the right book. There was a wonderful, tactile experience to searching through the catalog, and when searching for one book in the catalog, I would often stumble upon other interesting books because those little cards were so hard to resist reading.

These days, the old fashion card catalogs have been replaced by modern, computerized catalogs that do a wonderful job of searching for books and other materials. I love using them, but sometimes, I get a little nostalgic for those little, typed cards.

This library I visited actually still uses their card catalog, although it has been re-purposed for another use:



Some would say this is ironic, but I think its a little sad.

1 comment:

Lindahl News 2 said...

Oh, Witty, I love those old oak card catalogs, too!